Having a Godly Self-Image
For the past few weeks, I have had the opportunity to sit with different people and hear their life story. Some of these stories are sad and upsetting, others are horrendous. As I listened to these stories and asked some questions, I got a glimpse of the image these people have of themselves. Their self-image has been marred by the things they experienced in their past and this now affects how they view and value themselves. Both their self-esteem and confidence has taken a blow.
Having a healthy self-image, or opinion of yourself, comes from having a healthy self-esteem and positive feelings about yourself and is so important to help us function well in life. How you view, or feel about yourself, will affect just about every aspect of your life. You will think, speak, and behave as the person you think you are. The New American Standard Bible translates Proverbs 23: 7 in this way: “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.”
What happens when we have a low self-image?
Quite often when I meet with a person with a low self-image, I find that they are very fearful because they are worried that others may discover how they really feel about themselves. They carry a lot of guilt because they focus on their failures. They are insecure because they have a sense of worthlessness and they may struggle with resentment and rejection.
Start seeing yourself the way God sees you
As a Christian, we need to realise that our worth and value comes from God, not from the world. The devil will use what others have said to keep us feeling down and defeated. He makes us believe the lies that others have said about us so that we are unable to reach the potential God has for us.
Instead of believing the lies, we need to start believing the truth. Think about the following statements:
- God loves and values you highly (Romans 5: 7-8; 1 John 3: 1-2)
- God has removed all condemnation from you because you are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1)
- God says you are his masterpiece and he is planning every detail of your life (Ephesians 1: 3-5; 2:8-10)
- God created you as a unique person (Psalm 139: 13-16)
- You are created in the image of God (Genesis 1: 27)
- God loves you and cares for you as a loving heavenly Father (Matthew 6: 25-34)
- You belong to God’s family (Ephesians 1: 5)
- God values you so much his Son died for you (Ephesians 2: 4-9)
- Jesus death and gift of new life gives you hope (Romans 8: 32)
- God has given you a purpose – you are called to be his ambassador in the world (2 Corinthians 5: 17-21)
My prayer for those who are struggling with a low self-image is to be able to see themselves as God sees them.